Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Really Don't Like Fish

I know it's good for me. It's every dieter's best friend. But, other than the occasional tuna fish sandwich, ahi poke, or sushi night I just can't get excited about it. I rarely cook fish and never order it.
But, I have a little (more than a little) work to do losing the pounds of "enchantment" (more like carnitas, tortillas, and sopapillas) I brought home from New Mexico and so I am trying to add the occasional fish dish into our dinner menus.
I've made this recipe before and -- with the fish hiding beneath a version of the spicy Moroccan marinade known as Charmoula -- found it pretty tasty. With Pacific halibut in season and, therefore, a pretty affordable and as a bonus locavore/environmentally sound/ Monterey Aquarium approved (blah blah blah) choice, Suzanne Goin's (one of my favorite LA chefs) kebabs seemed like the way to go, and another chance to subtly showcase some back yard produce.
1 1/2 inch cubes of fish are tossed in a marinade made of cilantro (1 bunch), parsley (1 cup of leaves), 3 garlic cloves, sweet paprika (1 TB), cayenne pepper (1 tsp), kosher salt (1 tsp) olive oil ( 1 1/4 cups), lemon juice (1 TB) and rice wine vinegar ( 1 1/2 tsp) whirled together in the food processor. Goin takes out 6 TBs for the fish and then adds the acid to the sauce readied to be served alongside the kebabs but I just throw it all in at once.
The coated fish is threaded onto skewers alternating with a fresh lemon slice (about 1/4 inch thick) and a fresh bay leaf -- for our recipe both came off our backyard trees. Using some delicious sheep's milk yogurt (my favorite) I mixed up Goin's cucumber mint sauce to use as a salad dressing and extra sauce for the fish and set out a platter with butter lettuce, oven roasted tomatoes, home-grown pickled peppers while the fish cooked on the grill and cous cous steamed in the kitchen. About 8 minutes had everything finished.
Fish for dinner . . . a summery California dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment