Sunday, June 6, 2010

Baked Meatballs? Italian Burgers? Mini Meatloaf?

"Do we have any hamburger meat?" James asked, thinking about burgers for dinner.
We didn't but that can hardly stop a girl with grass fed beef in the freezer and a Cuisinart on the counter. I quickly defrosted a top sirloin steak and a lonely pork chop and chopped the meat. We also didn't have any bread, not even enough for open face burgers so I figured it had to be some sort of hamburger steak.
The first thing I did was get some tiny fingerlings in to roast seasoned with plenty of oregano, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. And, because I was just to lazy to take out another pan, I decided to roast the broccoli rabe right in with the potatoes. Cut in tiny pieces (or tiny from the ground) 20- 30 minutes at 450º would be just right for tender potatoes and flavorful crispy greens.
Once I was off to this semi-Italian start I decided to flavor up the meat to match. In went a good dose of oregano, parsley, garlic, crushed chili peppers, parmesan cheese, and some stale bread soaked in milk. I formed this mixture into patties and popped it in the oven along with the vegetables. When the potatoes and greens were cooked I turned the oven to broil to color the burgers a bit and melt a couple slices of Romano cheese on top. I tossed some grated parmesan with the warm potatoes and broccoli and popped that tray back in the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.
Italian Burgers? Mini Meatloaf? Jumbo Meatballs? You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment