Friday, May 6, 2011

Broccoli Telefono

"Honey, if I put on some water can we have spaghetti?" James called from the kitchen.
I had just walked in from work and started to type up some notes from the day -- forgetting, for a moment all about dinner.
The water was already boiling when I popped up so I decided on a quick broccoli sauce (I had a bag of florets in the fridge). I dropped the spaghetti into the salted, boiling water and when it had four minutes left to cook added in the broccoli. I saved about a cup of the pasta cooking liquid and put the drained spaghetti (with the broccoli) back into the cooking pot along with a large handful of shredded pecorino cheese, lots of cracked black pepper, about 1/2 cup of the cooking water and a good sized knob of butter. I gave everything a good stir combining the broccoli (and breaking it up a bit) and the cheese into a light sauce. Somehow I felt a little extra cheese might be right and I added some cubed, fresh mozzarella to the pot and let it melt and form the long chewy strands the Italians call "al telfono."

No comments:

Post a Comment