Monday, May 30, 2011

Flank Steak On The Grill

I know I've said it before, but when I need an idea for meat I turn to Bruce Aidells. He wrote the book on meat, the bible of beef, the tome I wish I wrote, The Complete Meat Cookbook. It's not exhaustive by any means (or else why would we need Aidells' Complete Book of sausage and Complete Book of Pork) but the book's collections of marinades, rubs and cooking techniques can still rescue a cook lacking ideas. Today I decided on a Bourbon marinade for our flank steak. I mixed 3 TB olive oil, 1/4 cup bourbon, 2 TB dijon mustard, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 4 cloves minced garlic, 2 TB minced red onion, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 TB salt, 2 TB red wine vinegar, 1 TB worcestershire sauce, and a good sized pinch of crushed red peppers (my addition not Aidells') and let the meat marinate in the fridge all day. If we weren't still celebrating the official grilling weekend I might have left it in the fridge for another day to let the flavor really soak in. I grilled the steak over medium-high flame for about 15 minutes, turning every 3 or 4 times as it cooked.
As a side I put sliced potatoes, olive oil, butter, fresh oregano, sliced garlic, thyme and marjoram in a tin foil packet and cook those on the grill for about 1/2 hour.
Welcome summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment