Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recipe Of The Year

I don't know how I lived so long without Sara Foster's simple arugula pesto recipe. It's quick, easy, adaptable and delicious. It's a keeper and I keep going back. We've served it on pasta, spread on sandwiches, topping fresh balls of mozzarella. Tonight I tossed steamed cauliflower and homegrown potatoes in the sauce, made with hazelnuts instead of almonds, for a quick picnic salad.
Pesto can seem so dated, so 80's but with arugula instead of basil the whole maybe once tired idea is new again and tastes even better. Simply combine 4 cups of arugula, 4 peeled garlic cloves, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup almonds (tonight I used 3/4 cup of blanched hazelnuts), 1 tsp salt, juice of 1 lemon, 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, and 1/2 tsp of black pepper in the food processor. Although Foster chops her "dry" (everything but lemon juice and oil) ingredients first, I just pulse everything together for a chunky, rich, use on everything sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment