Monday, July 18, 2011

A Treat From An Empty Fridge

Flying back to town, leisurely reading Food And Wine magazine I happened upon a recipe from Mario Batali for zucchini and ricotta fritters. I had a couple zucchini from our garden still in the crisper drawer and I generally have a tub of ricotta -- so good for last minute appetizers. I shredded the zucchini along with garlic and a leek (the recipe ingredients included scallions -- and sheep's milk ricotta but we didn't have either). Then I mixed the shredded veggies with 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of ricotta, and about 3/4 cup of flour. The recipe called for lemon zest and I just forgot to add it but we didn't miss it. After being fried in olive oil the fritters were crisp outside and tender inside. A garden fresh dinnertime treat that I topped with a quick sauté of bacon, fresh corn and chiles tossed with fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment