Saturday, July 16, 2011

Steamed Vegetable Salad

Vegetables tend to pile up in the drawer. They look so beautiful in the garden or at the farmer's market and I tuck them away in the crisper, usually with no idea of what I intend to make. Today I looked in and realized it was time to put those veggies to work. James and I are popping out of town and I didn't want them to wait on our return. So and unusual combo of vegetables turned into a summer salad. I steamed broccoli rabe and yellow beans and dressed them (while still warm so they soaked up the flavor) in olive oil, S&P. Then I roasted a couple of red peppers over a flame (right on the gas stove) and added them, peeled and chopped, into the bowl. Before serving I dressed the mixture with lemon juice, more olive oil, oregano, chile peppers, peperoncini, and a sprinkle of feta cheese. I cooked some quinoa in the slightly colored and flavored water left from steaming the vegetables and brought this salad of necessity to the table. A cleaner fridge and a summer salad dinner. James never suspected.

No comments:

Post a Comment