Sunday, April 22, 2012

Meatballs And Rice

I'm not sure where tonight's dinner came from. I had no idea and then there I was by the stove seasoning ground beef. I briefly thought I was heading towards Swedish meatballs but somehow I found myself chopping pancetta and salami and grating in parmesan cheese. That pancetta was from my adventure looking for Hobbs bacon (they make a variety of smoked and preserved meats and sausages I have yet to find). Before I knew it I had chopped a few slices and toss them in a skillet to render. Next came a little butter and then the meatballs I formed from the seasoned meat (S&P, garlic, onion, salami, pancetta, crushed red peppers, bread crumbs, eggs, a splash of milk, parmesan, rosemary and thyme). When the meatballs had browned in the skillet I took them out to wait until i had made the sauce. I tossed in some flour and cooked that in the remaining bacon fat and then deglazed the pan with some red wine. I poured in milk and cream (I was trying to use them up before ether went bad I think) and let the sauce thicken. I added the meatballs back into the skillet to cook through as the sauce simmered.  And so, meatballs and rice. A little unusual I guess but satisfying all the same. Just another Sunday supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment