Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It All Started With A Broken Egg

Driving back into town for the ingredient I forgot (I promised to make pickled vegetables for my neighbor's party) it was very close to dinnertime and I had no idea what we were having. Lately I have had a hard time figuring out what to make for dinner and today was no different. Closer and closer to dinner hour it crept with nothing started. Suddenly, while driving to the store,  I thought of an egg I broke and tucked away in a plastic container in the fridge. Broken egg, boiled pasta . . . Carbonara.
Dinner from nothing, our favorite game.
In a small frying pan I sautéed pancetta, onions, garlic and crushed red peppers while the pasta water boiled. I quickly drained the spaghetti and put it back in the still warm pot along with the crisp pancetta mixture along with 1 beaten egg mixed with a splash of milk and grated parmesan cheese. I stirred everything together and the residual heat cooked the egg just enough to fashion a creamy, rich, ready in a minute sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment