Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rainy Day Soup

It's a little cold and drizzly up here today. The dogs are laying around the house keeping warm and dry. We are too.
Nothing warms up a day like homemade soup.
There was a small head of cabbage in the fridge and that seemed like a good place to start a hearty vegetable soup. I started by sautéing chopped onion and garlic in olive oil. Next I tossed in diced celery and carrots and let all the vegetables soften in the pan.Shredded cabbage went in next and then I added in cooked white beans (I had some tucked away in the freezer) and a good quantity of chicken broth and several large handfuls of chopped spinach. All of that simmered away for about 30 minutes and then I added in about a cup of fregola, the Sardinian rolled and toasted pasta. After 20 more minutes the pasta was tender and the soup ready for a rainy afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment