Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Corned Beef Before . . .

Not even a compromise. I always do my first corned beef cooking in the crock pot. This time -- to make sure James had a full dinner I added potatoes and cabbage. In the morning I added about 1 half dozen small 9about 3 inches across) yellow potatoes, the corned beef brisket, 1 peeled onion, 12 black peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 head of garlic and 3 allspice berries to the crock pot along with 4 cups of water and let the mixture cook on low for 9 hours. Then I (well I asked James to do it while I was out) added as many wedges of cabbage as he could fit into the crock pot and let it to cook for 3 hours more. An hour before dinner James (this was a family participation dinner) preheated the oven to 350ยบ. Before I left in the morning I stirred up equal parts dijon mustard and brown sugar with enough honey to make a slightly tangy sweet glaze ( I usually follow the Silver Palette glaze recipe of 4 TB brown sugar 4 TB mustard, and 1 cup orange marmalade but we were fresh out of marmalade so I punted). A half hour before dinner, the big man removed the meat from the crock pot to a rimmed baking sheet, covered it with the glaze and baked for 30 minutes until the glaze made a sweet, crisp surface on the meat (James actually likes that glaze a little burnt). Served with the slow cooked potatoes and cabbage it's an easy winter night's treat, that makes for great leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment