Friday, February 5, 2010

. . . And After

My Dad loved corned beef hash. Straight from the can. Crisp fried with eggs. Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. As a kid I don't think I knew it was something you could -- or anyone would -- make from scratch. Of course, my mom never made corned beef so it wasn't like the ingredients were any where handy. Although I still have a soft spot in my heart for the red and yellow can, these days we've upped the ante on the diner favorite.
For your homemade hash, melt a couple TBs of butter in a frying pan and add 1/2 diced onion, equal parts finely chopped corned beef and cooked potatoes, and enough liquid (could be milk, cream, gravy or tomato sauce) to moisten the mixture. Cook in the melted butter for about 10 minutes until the bottom is browned and crisp. Flip in the pan and fry until crisped on both sides. Serve with a fresh (thanks girls), lightly fried egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment