Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Perfect Cure: Homemade Chicken Soup

The big man was feeling a little under the weather and needed something warm comforting and easy to eat. Chicken soup to the rescue. Honestly I thought about just using some store bought stock but I couldn't go through with it. I simmered a whole chicken, an onion, a couple carrots, a stalk or two of celery, 2 garlic cloves, and a few peppercorns covered with water until the chicken was gently poached and the resulting stock had a delicate color and flavor. I strained the broth and then put it back on the stove with finely diced carrots, celery, and peas fresh from the front yard garden. When the vegetables were tender I mixed in some chopped chicken and cooked orzo pasta and topped with oyster crackers. You may notice the soup has a bit of a pinkish tinge -- one of my carrots was a beautiful deep purple which lent some color to the broth -- next time I'll boil those pretty, colorful carrots separately.
Homemade soup with homegrown color.

No comments:

Post a Comment