Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cauliflower Soup

I hate letting anything go to waste. The big man isn't that big on leftovers. I swear it's like he doesn't even see them. Sigh. I try to shop for what we need but every now and then it's just too easy to get seduced by cheerful green leeks, purple carrots, or buttery yellow crisp cauliflower.
Soup is the perfect answer to over shopping woes -- and couldn't be easier.
I rough chopped 2 leeks and one large onion and sautéed them, with a clove of garlic in olive oil until the vegetables were soft but not colored. Then I added the florets from one head of cauliflower, about a tsp of thyme, a pinch of saffron, and 4 cups of stock and let everything cook over medium heat -- covered -- until the cauliflower was tender (based on advice from an on-line recipe I started my soup from I took out a few florets to pan fry as a garnish).
I pureed everything with a couple TBs of butter and served along with flatbreads flavored with za'atar (a favorite of James')-- a middle eastern spice blend perfect with cauliflower.
Soups On!

No comments:

Post a Comment