Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yard Salad

Fresh salad with homegrown greens straight from the garden.
I called it a breakfast salad. Hard boiled eggs --fresh from "the girls", torn garlic croutons, and bacon vinaigrette.
For the croutons I trimmed the crust off some not so fresh bread and torn it into pieces about 1 1/2 inches long, I popped those in a frying over medium low heat with some garlic oil and (after about 10 minute cooking time) about 1 TB butter. While the croutons were crisping, I cooked some lardons of slab bacon in a sauté pan over medium low heat until the bacon colored and crisped but the pieces were still soft inside. I set the bacon pieces aside to drain on a paper towel and added the fat from the pan, along with 2 tsp of dijon mustard, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, and S&P to taste to the blender. While the ingredients blended I poured 1 cup of canola oil into the blender (pouring it down the side of the glass not right into the mixture). To serve I tossed the salad with the bacon pieces, croutons, hard boiled eggs, greens and dressing right from the blender.
Breakfast salad for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment