Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer Soup

Something a little different for us. Coconut shrimp soup. A little easy Thai flavor.
First I took out a good quantity of thin rice noodles and covered them with boiling water for about 10 minutes.
I fried about 1 1/2 TB of grated ginger, 1 minced jalapeno, 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes, and about 1/2 TB of minced garlic to some oil in a pan over medium heat and stirred it around. I added in about 2 cups of carrots (bright yellow carrots from our garden) sliced into thin -- almost matchstick strips and gave it all a good stir for about a minute. Next went in 1 can of low fat coconut milk, 1 can of Thai style chicken broth (I could have used any broth or even water), and 1/2 cup water mixed with 1 TB cornstarch. I brought the liquid up to a boil and let it simmer for about 4 minutes to cook the carrots through. Then I added in several handfuls of sliced oyster mushrooms and let them simmer for about 2 minutes. Next -- with the liquid still at a simmer -- went peeled deveined shrimp, the drained rice noodles, and about 1/2 cup frozen peas. When the shrimp were just opaque and cooked through I stirred in a few quartered small tomatoes along with about 1/4 cup of fish sauce (wish I'd had some limes instead) and served up our noodle soup topped with just a few fresh cilantro leaves.
Super quick summery soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment