Thursday, August 12, 2010

Vegetarian Dinner For Two

I just couldn't think of what to make. My diet wanted me to eat brown rice and pesto for dinner so I was trying to come up with something we could both eat. I looked out at our yard full of yellow squash and decided on a quick squash curry -- a low key vegetarian dinner.
I browned the mustard seeds and cumin seeds in a bit of oil until the mustard seeds started to pop and added in 3 cloves of sliced garlic, a dash of garam masala, and about 1 tsp curry powder. I let the spices heat and then added in 1 chopped onion and let it simmer in the mixture for about a minute. Next came 4 sliced yellow squash, about a half dozen sliced mushrooms (because I had them in the fridge) and two handfuls of cherry tomatoes chopped roughly, I cooked the vegetables for about 4 minutes until they just started to soften. Next I added in 1/2 tsp of chili flakes, 1 TB of tomato paste, and a paste I made in the food processor of 2 TB roasted sesame seeds and 2 TB cashew nuts. I cooked that mixture for another couple minutes and added 1/4 cup of water, covered the pot and let the curry simmer until the squash was very tender -- about 5 minutes.
Served over brown rice that was a diet dinner I could share with James.

No comments:

Post a Comment