Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tomatoes Everywhere

This year I tried a new tomato -- well new to me at least. The Ramapo. A hybrid developed by Rutgers University and popular until it became unavailable in the 1980's, Ramapo is one of a few varieties known across the East coast as "The Jersey Tomato."
I usually religiously stick to open-polinated, heirloom varieties in varied shades of red, yellow, green, orange and black, but when I saw these newly re-introduced beauties in the seed catalogue I couldn't resist the lure of these sun-kissed red, picture perfect tomatoes.
Planted with a hopeful wish in late February we now have big bushy plants spilling over with meaty fruits just waiting to be turned into salads, sandwiches and even sauces. I may can some if I can keep from eating them right off the vine.
They are mildly sweet without too much acid. Quite simply they taste like summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment