Thursday, January 6, 2011

Clam Standard

I don't know why I ever follow recipes. James loves clams. By now I really know what he likes but I like to try new things, I figured James love clams, James love potatoes how wrong could a Bon Appétit recipe go? I think the crucial turn was following the directions and instead of adding the chorizo at the beginning with the oil and onions and peppers adding it with the clams and missing out on all that extra flavor that comes when the chorizo crisps in olive oil. I should have skipped the red pepper (James isn't a huge fan of peppers and this time of year they are sort of bland anyway) and added some chili peppers at that same step. next time it'll go something like . . . sauté thinly sliced onions (2), chopped garlic, crushed red chiles and chopped chorizo (good sized chunks so it stands up to the potatoes' cooking time) in olive oil, covered, about 5 minutes until the onions are soft. Add in 1 lb potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4" chunks. Sauté over medium heat, partially covered for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are starting to brown and the potatoes are almost fully tender. Add in 3/4 cup of white wine, bring to a simmer, add in clams, a knob of butter and a handful of chopped parsley -- cover and cook for about 6 minutes until the clams have opened. All in all it was an okay dinner (good thing I had a batch of extra gooey brownies standing by) but not up to our "clam standard."

No comments:

Post a Comment