Thursday, February 24, 2011

Another Simple Spaghetti

James hates beets but he loves bitter greens. So when I buy a bunch at the farmer's market I roast the tubers to use in a salad for me and save the greens for him.
Tonight I fished out a bunch of greens for a quick spaghetti dinner. As the pasta boiled I sauteed chunks of slab bacon in olive oil and as it started to crisp added in 3 cloves of garlic and a sliced onion. After a couple minutes I added in a few crushed dried chiles and the thinly sliced (chiffonade) beet greens. I sautéed those leaves for a minute or two and then added in a pinch of salt and about 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and covered the skillet and let the greens cook through for about 5 minutes. I uncovered the skillet and let a bit of the water cook off before I added the drained pasta to the greens, tossed in some grated cheese (I used a nice sharp sheep's milk cheese) and brought dinner to the table.
Another 10 minute pasta sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment