Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Clams Clams Clams

I am so sick of beans I had to take a day off. So I stirred up a family favorite -- steamed manilla clams. For today's version I sautéed thick cubes of chorizo and Jamon Serrano in olive oil along with a sliced onion. over low heat and partially covered for about 5 minutes. Next I added in chunks of fingerling potatoes (about 3/4 inch) and a couple crushed dried chiles and let the pot continue to cook, still partially covered for about 10 minutes. I added in 1/2 cup or so of white wine along with a couple of chopped roasted peppers and let the potatoes steam, covered until they were just about tender. Next came a splash of chicken broth (I didn't have quite enough wine for the broth) which I brought up to a boil. I added in the washed, purged clams, covered the pot and steamed for 7 minutes until all the shells had opened. All this dish needed was crusty bread to sop up the delicious broth.
Clam genius strikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment