Sunday, February 13, 2011

Crispy Polenta Cakes

I like to disguise leftovers. It makes me feel clever.
James had warm polenta the other day and I took what was left in the pot, spread it on a sheet pan and let it firm up in the fridge. I cut the mixture into circles with a biscuit cutter and laid the cakes in a hot pan with olive oil and crisped them on both sides. If I'd had more time I might have coated the cakes in panko bread crumbs for extra crunch.
In another pan I heated some olive oil and added in some garlic, chopped fennel salami, and the last frozen fava beans from our most recent front yard harvest. I cooked those ingredients down with some white wine, butter and S&P to make a quick ragout. On top one of our backyard eggs (extra precious now since the girls have slowed down due to winter's chill) fried in fruity olive oil. A sprinkle of cheese brought dinner to the table.
James didn't recognize the ingredients . . . he was too busy eating and mumbling how delicious it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment