Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bean Diet Here I Come

The holidays are officially over. Our eating season lingered longer than usual this year. Instead of repenting our excesses and and feverishly setting ourselves to dietary resolutions, we put on a spread of cheese and oysters and ham and desserts for a couple hundred of our closest friends. The leftovers whisper a siren song as I pass through the kitchen. Today I decided to turn a deaf ear and join our friend Eric on "The Bean Diet" (Eat To Live). I doubt I'll ever button a size 2 again but maybe I can be just a bit smaller. So, February starts my new year's resolution. James kindly agrees to eat beans with me but I'll try to ind a way to spice up his plate with breads, or a drizzle of oil, or even the dreaded cheese -- all forbidden in Dr Fuhrman's guide. For dinner day one I mixed up something I am calling falafel burgers. Garbanzo beans, tahini sauce, cilantro, garlic, oatmeal (as a binder) and Z'atar (a middle Eastern spice blend James loves) combined in the food processor, refrigerated until they hold a shape, formed into patties and baked at 350ยบ for 15 minutes on a side. For James I served these vegan burgers on toasted flatbread with a sesame olive oil dressing. So much for day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment