Friday, February 18, 2011

Falafel Burgers

I keep trying to make a better bean burger. Chick peas are my favorite so I thought why not take a dish I already like -- falafel, and adapt it (i.e. bake not fry) for the everlasting bean diet. Into the food processor went 2 drained cans of garbanzo beans, 1 chopped onion, a handful of parsley leaves, a handful of cilantro, a pinch of cayenne, 1 tsp of ground cumin, 1/2 tsp of ground coriander and 4 cloves of garlic. I pulsed until the mixture came together and let the dough cool in the refrigerator until it was time to bake. Usually when I make bean burgers I use a bit of nuts or oatmeal as a binder (instead of the recipe's flour or breadcrumbs). This time I tried to make a nut and grain free burger. The flavor was just right but the texture not quite ideal. James didn't seem to notice when I piled his toasted flatbread with tahini sauce and a crisp salad dressed simply with lemon, olive oil and z'atar (lettuce below, cucumber and onion as a condiment on top).
Stay tuned for chickpea burger attempt number 3, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment