Friday, February 4, 2011

Bowl O Beans

I should be seeing these bean days as the ultimate cook's challenge but I haven't exactly rallied yet. Pastas and stews and pizzas come easily to me, but no oil, no dairy, no meat (in spite of a fridge full of cheese and a freezer full of delicious Hearst Ranch beef). . . ideas don't exactly jump up at every turn. On my way out the door for work I pulled down the crock pot and tossed in some soaked pinquito beans, the small pink legumes traditionally served with Santa Maria barbeque. To the beans I added a can of Muir Glen tomato sauce, one onion cut in quarters, one carrot peeled and chopped, a couple stalks of celery, 2 bay leaves, three peeled cloves garlic, chili powder, water, and for hint of BBQ flavor -- smoked salt. I left the pot to simmer all day while I was at work and served James his beans as a snack with grated cheese and chopped red onion.
"I don't know why you act like you're being punished eating beans," James said.
Oh Honey, it's not the eating -- it's the cooking. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment