Monday, July 5, 2010

Easy Summer Dinner

I'm getting used to fish for dinner, although it's still not my favorite. But, following the new theme of our healthy dinner summer I am trying to make fish (not seafood which James and I both love and prefer) at least twice a week.
Tonight I took a clue from the fishermen and fishermen's wives of Nantucket who, rumor is, spread a coating of seasoned (salt and pepper) mayonnaise on filets before cooking them on the grill. I took that idea just a bit further by adding chopped basil, garlic, capers, and lemon juice to the mayo and blending it in the food processor. After about six minute on each side the fish was tender and super moist with just a hint of appealing golden brown.
And yet, healthy summer or not, man can't live by grilled fish alone. Earlier this afternoon I had some girlfriends (hi cousin Randy) to lunch and made a quick pasta with sautéed zucchini, garlic, chiles, chopped mint, and cubed fresh mozzarella. To keep it a bit light, and because I wasn't ready for a whole new stack of dirty dishes, instead of a heavy cream sauce I whisked together milk, one egg, and 1 TB of cornstarch and poured it over the pasta leftovers sprinkled in some grated parmesan cheese and baked the mini casserole for 20 minutes at 350º.
Super easy, super fast, and even used up some leftovers. The perfect summer dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment