Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Eggplant Pizza

"I like your pizzas honey, but you know it's not what most people think of . . . I mean asparagus . . . ????"
That's how James greeted my latest vegetable pizza creation -- eggplant. But I am so delighted with our nearly fool proof vegetable pizza recipe I just keep making them -- and my pizza lover, no matter what the topping, keeps on eating them.
After I've stretched the dough across the baking pan I dot the top with prosciutto (or pancetta) and cheese, today it was a mixture of mozzarella and goat cheese. On top of the cheese I put plenty of chopped garlic. Then I slice the vegetable of choice (today it was eggplant, last week zucchini) as thinly as possible using a vegetable peeler or a mandolin. I mix the sliced vegetable with herbs (tonight it was fresh oregano, dried oregano and thyme), S&P, and olive oil and lay the dressed vegetables on top of the crust in a tangle. I sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 500ยบ. Maybe it's not what other people would call pizza, but it works for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment