Saturday, July 10, 2010

When Eric Ate James' Dinner

James had a meeting out of the house and we had to re-schedule dinner with a friend so I needed some back up eaters. I invited our friend Eric to come and eat James' dinner. Eric is a good audience who appreciates my cooking so he is always a welcome guest, and his wife is out of town so we try to make him a regular at our dinner table.
We started off with a roasted corn and avocado salad from a recipe by Elizabeth Falkner of Citizen Cake fame. She instructed to coat the ears of corn with olive oil and roast them in the oven (500)) until tender and lightly browned. After cutting the kernels form the ears some (1/2 cup) went into the blender along with 3 TB fresh lime juice, 2 TB sherry vinegar, a dash of hot sauce and a pinch of cinnamon. As those ingredients mixed I drizzled in 1/2 cup of olive oil to make a vinaigrette. The rest of the corn mixed with cubes of avocado, tomatoes (I had some roasted ones so I used those along with some fresh tomatoes), cucumbers and the finished dressing. I served spoons of the mixed salad on arugula leaves topped with toasted pumpkin seeds and feta cheese.
We don't do sandwiches for dinner too often but I thought I had a good combo and layered bread warm from the oven with butter, thinly sliced london broil (Eric was sort of invited for leftovers after all), parmesan cheese, spinach leaves, sliced mushrooms, and a thick coating of my green pepper romesco sauce. Sandwich and salad dinner for a good friend and a good guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment