Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Bright Yellow Wedge

It's actually possible to walk in the door and less than 25 minutes later have hot cornbread for dinner, if James will preheat the oven for me. I just pop 1 TB of butter or bacon grease, if I have it, into an iron skillet and let it melt in the pan in the hot oven. Meanwhile I mix together 2 cups of cornmeal, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, and a couple good grinds of pepper. In a separate bowl I beat together 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk, 1 egg and 2 TB of vegetable oil. I mix the wet ingredients into the dry, pour it all into the skillet with the hot fat and bake at 450ยบ for 18-20 minutes. Crispy, fluffy, delicious and just the thing to go with my slow cooker BBQ pork ribs. Pretty good with butter and jam for breakfast too.

No comments:

Post a Comment