Monday, March 14, 2011

Wolfgang's Mac N' Cheese

Not too long ago the Williams Sonoma catalogue featured a selection of sides recipes from famous steakhouses. I was laying in bed perusing the latest collection of things I don't need when a recipe for the macaroni and cheese from Wolfgang Puck's very expensive and highly lauded Beverly Hills steakhouse Cut. Mostly I stopped to look because the recipe called for creme fraiche and I happened to have too much in the fridge -- I love a fridge cleaning recipe.
I whisked up a roux added milk and simmered it slowly with bay leaves for flavor. I whisked in the creme fraiche and grated cheese, tossed the pasta in the sauce and layered it in a baking dish with more grated cheese (WP called for mozzarella and cheddar I took the liberty of using what we had and opted for peppered cheddar, taleggio, and parmesan cheeses). The dish was topped with more grated cheese and bread crumbs.
I made two pans of this new recipe mac n' cheese and popped them in the freezer to pull out and bake on a late night like tonight. Makes good leftovers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment