Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cleaning Out The Fridge

The cupboard is a little bare but there were a few things I didn't want to go to waste, mainly a big bowl of cooked greens from our garden. I especially hate to waste anything we grow ourselves. This stew wasn't so much planned but evolved in the pan as the rice cooked. I started with chopped Serrano ham over a medium flame with a bit of olive oil. I added in a sliced onion and several cloves of garlic. Next came rounds of Andouille sausage (chicken sausage --- that's why I started with the ham to get a little porky, smokey taste cooked in) and I let all that cook around until the sausage crisped just slightly. Then I added in a large handful of cooked greens, gave them a stir around and then poured in a splash each of cream and chicken broth to meld the flavors, temper the hot sausage a bit, and make a light sauce for the "stew." No complaints from James and a few less leftovers for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment