Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spaghetti with Fried Egg

How can something so simple be so delicious?
I popped a handful of broccoli from our garden into boiling water for just a few minutes, took it out and then cooked the spaghetti in the same salted water. Meanwhile I heated some olive oil, lots of garlic and a few dried chiles with the now chopped, blanched broccoli. After the broccoli had lightly sautéed and the oil had taken on the garlic's flavor I mixed the contents of the skillet into the drained pasta. I poured a bit more oil in the pan and lightly fried an egg, fresh from our hen house, until it was just barely cooked and the yolk still runny. To serve I showered the pasta with grated, tangy sheep's milk cheese and the loosely fried egg then instructed James to cut into the egg and let the yolk run and form a delicate sauce for the dish.
Homegrown broccoli, backyard eggs. Simple and delicious dinner in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment