Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sort Of Goulash

Leftover steak in the fridge. A little while bubbling in a stove top sauce and it's our weeknight goulash. After perusing a Wolfgang Puck recipe I started to improvise. I sautéed onions and garlic in olive oil and added in good quantities each of caraway seeds, thyme, and marjoram with a pinch of sugar and let the onions caramelize over medium heat. I deglazed the pan with balsamic vinegar, added chicken broth, tomato paste, and both hot and sweet paprika. I gave that a stir around, added the steak (cut in to cubes) and a cube of butter, covered the pan and let my stew simmer over low heat for about an hour until the flavors had mellowed and the steak was tender. I finished the goulash with a bit of milk stirred into the sauce. James had his goulash over buttered noodles and never even suspected he had seen it once before.

No comments:

Post a Comment