Sunday, January 8, 2012

Apples Apples Everywhere

There is still a jumbo bag of apples in the hallway. There are still apples on the tree. I spend a couple lazy minutes everyday searching the internet for apple ideas. We have a prolific tree. I have to become an expert.
Today I turned those apples along with onions, butternut squash and some -- dare I call it -- questionable cheese James bought at the grocery store while I was away from home (okay it was Jarlsburg and Babybels not exactly nuclear waste but hardly the snooty, cut to order handmade dairy I generally melt on his toasties). This soup was an opportunity to use up some ingredients.
Based on, of all things, a Food Network Kitchen recipe I stared some butter melting in a pan. Then I dumped in cubed butternut squash (1 1/2 cups), peeled and cubed apples (I think I used 3 medium sized), 1 large potatoes -- peeled and cubed and 1 chopped onion. After about 8 minutes when the onion was soft I tossed in 2 TB of flour and a good handful of chopped thyme leaves and seasoned with S&P. I tossed that around just long enough for the flour to cook a bit and added in 1/3 cup of apple cider and cooked until the mixture became thick. Next went in 4 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of milk. I covered the pot and brought the liquid to a boil. I reduced the heat to a simmer and let the soup cook until the potato was tender -- about 25 minutes. I puréed the soup in the blender until it was very smooth and added in two cups of shredded cheese which melted into a creamy almost bisque like texture.
Questionable cheese, delicious soup . . . it must be the apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment