Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pasta Again?

Now that I am well into my new life with no dishwasher and dare I say it no housekeeper I have a new found appreciation for the one pot meal. While I dread every evening's dishes I'm getting pretty creative with new combinations.
Tonight I started the water boiling and cooked the pasta --just before the noodles were fully cooked I added in broccoli florets and let both cook together. I drained the pot and reserved about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. While the pasta drained I quickly sautéed some red onion, garlic, crushed red peppers, chopped prosciutto and dried oregano -- it cooks up in just a flash since the pot is still warm from the pasta. I added the pasta and broccoli back into the pot along with a good sized dollop of ricotta cheese and a splash of the cooking water. A couple turns of the spoon and a few sprinkles of parmesan cheese (stirred in and just melted by the warm pasta ad the cooking liquid) and dinner was served. One pot to clean -- success.

No comments:

Post a Comment