Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bangers And Mash

Perfect for a rainy day out here in the grasslands. Warm comfort food, and a little foreshadowing to upcoming St Patrick's day.
Trader Joe's had packages of Irish sausages on sale so I brought them home and seared a couple quickly in hot oil in a skillet while I boiled peeled potatoes in a saucepan. I took the browned sausages out of the pan and added in one sliced onion, and a minced clove of garlic and let them soften in the still hot oil. When the onion was soft I added in a couple TB of flour and cooked up a quick roux which I thinned with chicken broth. I added the sausages back into the gravy and let them simmer while the potatoes cooked. Five minutes before the potatoes were ready to drain I added in a couple handfuls of chopped chard and let the vegetables soften together. I drained the potatoes and quickly mashed them (and the chard) with butter, olive oil and cream and used that mixture as the base for James' sausages and onion gravy. Bangers and Mash: a UK classic, a first for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment