Monday, March 26, 2012

Lentil Soup

Today just felt cold to me. Honestly it wasn't really as frigid as it felt but I just couldn't warm up. So what's the perfect dinner for a cold day? Soup. Hearty, homemade, soup. I barely had enough ingredients to get the pot going but I stared as I usually do with chopped onions, garlic, celery and carrot sin a bit of olive oil. I let the vegetables cook until the onion was soft and translucent and then added in lentils, a bay leaf, chopped parsley, thyme, salt, crushed red peppers, and because I didn't have very many lentils a drained can or garbanzo beans. I covered everything with about 6 cups of chicken broth and a little water and brought the mixture up to a boil. After simmering for 20 minutes I brought James soup to the table topped with sautéed bits of Italian sausage for a little extra flavor and shavings of parmesan cheese. I had mine as it came out of the pot -- more diet friendly that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment