Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spaghetti with Sausage, Radicchio and Red Wine sauce

Simple and quick and a chance to use up a few things in the fridge. I started with sausage (out of the casings), red onion, garlic and shallots in a pan of hot oil and let the sausage brown and the onion soften together. I thought the sausage might be a bit bland so I added in crushed red peppers, rosemary, fennel seeds and oregano along with some finely chopped Italian dry salami. Next I tossed in the radicchio and let everything cook down until the red leaves were just tinged with brown. I added in about a cup of red wine and a cup of chicken stock and let the sauce simmer while the pasta cooked and the radicchio softened.
The drained pasta went right into the skillet with the sauce, a knob of butter and a handful of chopped parsley. I gave the spaghetti a good couple turns in the sauce and brought it to he table with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a little more fresh parsley.
A pretty hearty wintery dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment