Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Gravenstein Apple Cake

When guests come I like to leave a little something for their breakfast. It's hard for guests from town to figure just how far we are from a Starbucks or a quick run to the store so we make sure we're supplied. More often than not our supplies might include this moist apple cake. It's super quick to make, stays fresh for several days on the counter, and feature our home canned apples so we always have the ingredients on hand.
For the batter, starting from a recipe I found on Smitten Kitchen,  I sift together 2 3/4 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1 TB baking soda. In a separate bowl I combine 1 cup vegetable oil, 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup oranges juice, and 2 1/2 tsp vanilla. I mix the wet ingredients into the dry and then add 4 eggs one at a time. Half the batter goes in a tube pan topped by half the batch of my home canned apples (I mix a drained 1 qt jar of apples with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tb cinnamon). Then another layer of batter and the rest of the apples on top. Sometimes I add nuts. Sometime just the apples. You could make this cake with fresh apple as the Smitten Kitchen recipe does (6 peeled and cubed) but for me the joy is using my jarred apples out of season to give guests a truly local -- right in our own backyard -- taste.

1 comment:

  1. Not only does that cake look delicious, the photo composition is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete